Before I Knew What Love Was A love story that continues beyond goodbye.

 A MEMOIR OF LOVE, FAITH, AND GRIEF

Before I Knew What Love Was

The story of a love that rebuilt a life, a battle that changed everything, and a bond that death could not take away.

WRITTEN BY EMILY KING

In loving memory of Thomas Brant Blake

May 10, 1980 – July 17, 2026

Chapters

Chapter One

Before I Knew What Love Was

Chapter Two

One Swipe

Chapter Three

Choosing Tomorrow

Chapter Four

The Day That Everything Changed

Chapter Five

The Scans Were Clear

Chapter Six

Borrowed Time

Chapter Seven

The Hall Between Us

Chapter Eight

Two O’Clock in the Morning

Chapter Nine

July 17, 2026

Epilogue

The Water Bottle

CHAPTER ONE

Before I Knew What Love Was

◆

I used to think everyone spent their lives surviving.

I thought pain was ordinary. That every family carried invisible burdens. That everyone learned, at an early age, to smile through things they couldn’t control.

When your life begins with one medical disaster after another, you don’t spend much time imagining the future. You measure life in doctor’s appointments instead of birthdays, procedures instead of vacations, recovery instead of adventure.

My body taught me long before life did that nothing is guaranteed.

Maybe that’s why I grew up so quickly.

By seventeen, I wasn’t thinking about prom dresses or college applications. I was thinking about forever.

At least, what I believed forever looked like.

I got married.

Looking back now, I don’t think either of us knew who we were. We were children trying to build an adult life with nothing but hope and determination.

Sometimes that is enough.

Sometimes it isn’t.

We built a family together.

Two beautiful children came into my life and changed me in all the ways motherhood changes a woman. Suddenly, my life wasn’t measured by my own happiness anymore. It became measured by scraped knees, school mornings, bedtime stories, and the quiet pride that comes from watching little people become themselves.

There were deployments.

Long months of saying goodbye before the sun came up.

Longer months of pretending I wasn’t afraid.

Military life teaches you strange things. It teaches you to celebrate holidays on different dates. To become fiercely independent. To carry the weight of a household while pretending it doesn’t feel heavy.

It teaches you that home isn’t always a place.

Sometimes, it’s just the person who eventually walks back through the front door.

I believed that kind of sacrifice meant something.

I believed loyalty was enough.

I believed that if you loved someone faithfully, they would love you the same way.

I was wrong.

The truth didn’t arrive all at once.

It unraveled.

One conversation.

One confession.

One impossible realization after another.

The marriage I had spent eighteen years protecting wasn’t the marriage I thought I had.

The man I believed had been walking beside me had been living another life for years, one I knew nothing about.

Fourteen years.

Fourteen years of secrets hidden inside eighteen years of marriage.

People often ask what betrayal feels like.

I don’t think there’s a word for it.

It’s grief for someone who is still alive.

It’s mourning a life that never actually existed.

It’s questioning your memories because suddenly every happy moment comes with an invisible question mark.

Was any of it real?

Was I enough?

Did he ever love me the way I loved him?

Those questions echoed louder than the answers ever could.

When my marriage ended, it wasn’t just a relationship that ended.

It was my identity.

I wasn’t someone’s wife anymore.

I wasn’t building the future I’d imagined since I was seventeen.

I was almost forty years old, standing in the middle of a life I no longer recognized, trying to figure out who I was without the story I had spent half my life believing.

People love stories about fresh starts.

They picture brave women walking confidently into new lives.

The truth is much less glamorous.

Fresh starts are lonely.

They are terrifying.

They are full of nights when you wonder whether you’ll ever trust another person again.

Mine certainly was.

If someone had told me then that one swipe on a dating app would completely rewrite the rest of my life, I would have laughed.

Not because I didn’t believe in love.

Because I no longer believed it was meant for me.

I thought the greatest love story of my life was already behind me.

I had no idea.

I hadn’t met him yet.

Back to contents ↑

CHAPTER TWO

One Swipe

◆

People ask me all the time how we met.

Some expect an elaborate story.

A mutual friend.

A chance encounter.

Love at first sight in a coffee shop.

I usually smile and tell them the truth.

“Tinder.”

It always gets a laugh.

Maybe because people don’t expect forever to begin with the swipe of a thumb.

Neither did I.

I wasn’t looking for a husband.

I certainly wasn’t looking for the love of my life.

I was looking for a distraction.

After eighteen years of marriage, I didn’t know how to date. I didn’t know what questions to ask or what red flags I had missed the first time around. I only knew I was lonely and tired of carrying the weight of a life that had fallen apart.

Then Brant messaged me.

I wish I could tell you exactly what he said.

I can’t.

What I remember is how easy it felt.

There wasn’t any pretending.

No rehearsed versions of ourselves.

Just two people talking.

When we finally met in person, he wasn’t trying to impress me.

He was just… Brant.

He had an easy smile, kind eyes, and a laugh that made you want to laugh too, even if you didn’t know why.

He wasn’t polished.

Neither was I.

We both carried baggage.

His looked different from mine, but it weighed just as much.

We had both made mistakes.

We had both spent years trying to outrun pain.

Maybe that’s why we recognized something familiar in each other.

Not perfection.

Possibility.

We talked about everything.

Our failures.

Our regrets.

The things we wished we had done differently.

There wasn’t much point in pretending with each other. We had both lived enough life to know that everyone has chapters they aren’t proud of.

The difference was this:

Neither of us ran when the other told the truth.

Instead, we listened.

We stayed.

We chose each other anyway.

That was new for both of us.

Love didn’t erase our pasts.

It simply gave us somewhere safe to carry them.

One of our favorite places became Five Flags Speedway in Pensacola.

Friday nights under the lights.

The smell of race fuel and hot rubber drifting through the grandstands.

The announcer’s voice echoing over the speakers.

Kids carrying oversized bags of popcorn.

Families who had been coming there for generations.

Brant loved it.

He knew the drivers.

He argued over cautions like the outcome actually depended on him.

He leaned forward every time the green flag dropped, completely invested in every lap.

I would catch myself smiling, not because of the race.

Because of him.

Somewhere between the roar of the engines and the checkered flags, I realized something had changed.

For the first time in a long time, I wasn’t thinking about the life I had lost.

I was enjoying the one I was living.

Healing is funny that way.

It rarely arrives with fanfare.

It slips quietly into ordinary moments.

A shared cup of peanuts.

His hand finding mine without thinking.

A kiss before the national anthem.

A laugh so genuine it surprises you.

Those Friday nights weren’t really about racing.

They were about learning to breathe again.

Brant loved the beach almost as much as he loved the racetrack.

There was something about the Gulf that settled him. The moment his feet hit the sand, it was as though the weight of the world stayed behind in the parking lot.

He wasn’t content to sit under an umbrella.

He wanted to be in the water.

Before I met him, I had never been snorkeling. The idea of breathing through a tube while floating over open water sounded anything but relaxing.

Brant just smiled.

“You’ll be fine,” he said.

Then he did what he always did when I was afraid of something.

He taught me.

Patiently.

He showed me how to clear my mask if water got inside, how to breathe slowly instead of panicking, and how to stop looking at my feet long enough to see what was beneath the surface.

The first time I put my face in the water, I understood why he loved it so much.

The world below the waves was quiet.

Peaceful.

Full of life most people never stopped long enough to notice.

I would look over and see him floating effortlessly, completely at home in the water. Watching him snorkel was like watching someone return to the place he had always been meant to be.

The beach wasn’t just somewhere Brant liked to go.

It was where his soul seemed to rest.

Some of my favorite memories aren’t the big milestones people expect.

They are the ordinary afternoons we spent chasing fish through clear water, walking barefoot in the sand, or sitting together after sunset listening to the waves.

Looking back now, I realize those days were teaching me something.

Healing doesn’t always happen in grand moments.

Sometimes it happens with salt on your skin, sand between your toes, and the person you love smiling at you from the water, reminding you that joy can still be found in the simplest places.

Those nights at Five Flags and those days at the beach mattered for reasons I didn’t fully understand then.

They were where I first met the version of myself I thought I had lost forever.

The woman who laughed without forcing it.

The woman who trusted again.

The woman who believed tomorrow might actually hold something beautiful.

I thought Brant was entering my life.

I didn’t realize he was helping me rebuild it.

We didn’t know then that cancer was waiting somewhere ahead.

We didn’t know our time together would be measured in years instead of decades.

We only knew one thing.

The time we had was ours.

And for a little while, that felt like forever.

Back to contents ↑

CHAPTER THREE

Choosing Tomorrow

◆

People love stories where love fixes everything.

Ours didn’t.

Love found us.

Recovery was a choice we had to make ourselves.

By the time Brant and I fell in love, we had both collected scars. Some people wear theirs where everyone can see them.

Ours lived quieter lives.

We had both spent seasons trying to numb things we didn’t know how to carry.

Different addictions.

The same emptiness.

We didn’t talk about it all at once.

The truth came in pieces.

One conversation over dinner.

One confession during a late-night drive.

One moment of saying, “Me too.”

There was something strangely comforting about not having to hide the ugliest parts of ourselves.

For the first time, I loved someone who knew my broken places and didn’t flinch.

I hope I gave him that same gift.

Recovery isn’t one dramatic moment when everything changes.

It’s waking up every morning and making the same hard decision.

Again.

And again.

Some days we won.

Some days we didn’t.

There were arguments born out of fear instead of anger.

Promises we desperately wanted to keep.

Days when one of us had to be strong because the other couldn’t be.

But every setback taught us the same lesson.

Shame keeps people sick.

Grace gives them room to heal.

At some point, I knew I needed a fresh start.

Not because I was running away.

Because I wanted to build a life instead of constantly repairing the old one.

North Alabama was home.

It was where I wanted to begin again.

I told Brant what I was going to do.

I never asked him to come.

I didn’t want him to choose me because he felt obligated.

I wanted him to choose me because he wanted the same future.

He followed anyway.

Leaving his home and the beach he loved so much.

Not because it was easy.

Not because it made financial sense.

Not because it was convenient.

Because he believed we were worth building a life around.

Looking back, I think that was one of the greatest gifts anyone has ever given me.

He chose me.

Completely.

Freely.

Without hesitation.

The little house we made our home wasn’t fancy.

We didn’t have much money.

Most of what we owned had already lived another life before it belonged to us.

But it was ours.

Slowly, life settled into something wonderfully ordinary.

Morning coffee together.

Grocery shopping.

Arguments over whose turn it was to cook.

Evenings on the couch.

It wasn’t perfect.

It was real.

For the first time in a long time, peace began to replace survival.

I enrolled in nursing school.

I had dreamed about becoming a nurse for years, but life always seemed to have another crisis waiting.

This time, I wasn’t going to let fear decide my future.

Brant celebrated my acceptance as though it were his own accomplishment.

He told everyone who would listen that I was going to be an incredible nurse.

He never doubted me.

Not once.

Sometimes I wonder if he believed in me before I believed in myself.

We talked about the future the way couples do when they think they have all the time in the world.

We talked about graduation.

About jobs.

About vacations we would take someday.

About growing old together.

Cancer wasn’t part of any of those conversations.

Not yet.

It was waiting quietly, just around the corner.

We couldn’t see it.

And if I’m honest, I’m grateful we couldn’t.

Because those few months, those ordinary, beautiful months, were the last time our lives belonged only to us.

Back to contents ↑

CHAPTER FOUR

The Day That Everything Changed

◆

There are moments that quietly divide your life into before and after.

The week before my prerequisite classes began, Brant was diagnosed with upper tract urothelial carcinoma.

Neither of us had ever heard those words before.

Cancer.

The word was terrifying, but the prognosis wasn’t. The scans suggested it was confined to one kidney. His doctors were hopeful. Remove the kidney, remove the cancer, and life could go back to normal.

We believed them.

We had every reason to.

On the morning of my very first prerequisite class, Brant was in surgery having his kidney removed.

I wasn’t sitting in a classroom.

I was sitting beside his hospital bed with my laptop open, attending my first college class virtually while waiting for the man I loved to come back from surgery.

It felt surreal.

Every few minutes, I shifted my attention between my instructor on the screen and the empty hospital bed waiting for Brant to return.

I tried to take notes.

I tried to focus.

But every thought eventually found its way back to him.

That morning, I became two people at once.

A student chasing a dream I had almost convinced myself was impossible.

And a caregiver praying that one surgery would give us the rest of our lives together.

When they finally wheeled him back into the room, he was groggy and in pain.

The anesthesia hadn’t completely worn off, and every movement reminded him of what his body had just endured.

I closed my laptop.

Nothing I was learning that day felt nearly as important as the man lying beside me.

I took his hand.

The surgery had gone well.

The kidney was gone.

The doctors were optimistic.

And so were we.

We talked about recovery.

About healing.

About getting him stronger.

About me staying in school.

About getting back to normal.

Not once did we imagine that cancer had already become part of our future.

While his body began healing from surgery, something deeper was changing inside him.

Cancer changed more than our plans.

It changed Brant’s faith.

He had always believed in God, but after his diagnosis, that belief became something deeper.

More personal.

Cancer stripped away the illusion that we were in control and forced both of us to confront questions we had once believed we had plenty of time to answer.

Brant began talking more openly about God.

About forgiveness.

About the life he had lived and the man he still wanted to become.

He didn’t pretend he had always made the right choices. He carried regrets, as we all do. But cancer reminded him that grace wasn’t reserved for people who had lived perfectly.

Grace was for people willing to come home.

His decision to be baptized came after the cancer diagnosis.

It wasn’t something he did because he believed baptism would guarantee healing. He did it because he wanted his life, however much of it remained, to belong fully to God.

I watched as he went beneath the water and rose again.

For a moment, cancer wasn’t the most important thing happening in our lives.

His new life was.

The disease was still there.

The appointments were still waiting.

The uncertainty hadn’t disappeared.

But something in Brant had changed.

He seemed lighter.

More certain.

At peace in a way I hadn’t seen before.

His baptism didn’t erase his past or take away the battles ahead of us.

It gave those battles somewhere to rest.

We couldn’t have known how often we would need that faith.

How many hospital rooms we would pray in.

How many scan results we would place in God’s hands.

How many times we would ask for a miracle.

And eventually, how much faith it would take to trust God when the miracle we wanted didn’t come.

At the time, I only knew that Brant had chosen God in the middle of the most frightening season of his life.

And when the end finally came, I would find comfort in knowing God had already chosen him.

When I thought about delaying school, everyone encouraged me to keep going.

My family.

His family.

My professors.

Friends.

The nurses caring for Brant.

But no one believed in me more than Brant.

He refused to let me consider quitting.

He reminded me that becoming a nurse wasn’t just my dream.

It was our dream.

So I stayed.

I went to class.

I came home and helped him recover.

I studied while he rested.

I learned medical terminology during the day and lived it at night.

At first, it almost felt manageable.

His incision began to heal.

Life slowly settled into a rhythm.

Classes.

Homework.

Follow-up appointments.

We started making plans again.

We talked about future semesters, weekend trips, Talladega, and everything we wanted to do once he was fully recovered.

Hope returned so naturally that we barely noticed it.

That’s the cruel thing about hope.

Sometimes it arrives quietly enough that you forget how fragile it is.

I had no idea then that nursing school would never simply be school.

Every lecture would eventually have a face attached to it.

His.

Every lesson about cancer would become personal.

Every discussion about loss, suffering, or family-centered care would remind me of the chair I occupied beside his hospital bed.

Without realizing it, Brant was becoming one of my greatest teachers.

Not because he wanted to be.

Because loving him forced me to see healthcare from the other side of the bedrail.

He taught me that every diagnosis belongs to a person.

Every lab value belongs to someone’s family.

Every hospital room contains far more than a patient.

It contains hope.

Fear.

Love.

Exhaustion.

And someone sitting quietly in a chair, praying the person they love will come home.

I will carry those lessons into every patient room for the rest of my career.

Looking back now, I can see that the surgery marked the beginning of two journeys.

Mine led toward becoming a nurse.

His led into the fight of his life.

We believed removing one kidney had removed the cancer.

We believed we had caught it in time.

We believed the hardest part was behind us.

We were wrong.

Back to contents ↑

CHAPTER FIVE

The Scans Were Clear

◆

After the surgery, life slowly began to feel possible again.

The pathology gave us reason to hope, and although the doctors believed they had removed all of the cancer, they recommended one round of chemotherapy.

“Just in case.”

Those three words became strangely comforting.

It wasn’t treatment because the cancer was everywhere.

It was treatment because they wanted to make sure it never came back.

We could live with that.

Brant endured chemotherapy with the determination that defined so much of who he was. It wasn’t easy, but compared with what we would later face, it almost felt manageable.

When treatment was over, the scans came back clear.

Clear.

There isn’t a sweeter word in oncology.

For the first time since his diagnosis, we allowed ourselves to breathe.

I threw myself into school.

Brant focused on healing.

We started talking about life instead of cancer.

We made plans.

Real plans.

We believed the hardest part was behind us.

Three months later, we sat in another exam room waiting for another set of scan results.

Neither of us expected our world to fall apart.

The cancer was back.

Not just back.

It had spread.

His bladder.

His lungs.

His lymph nodes.

I remember reading the scan reports, trying to make sense of words that refused to fit together.

Three months ago, the scans were clear.

Three months ago, we believed we had caught it in time.

Three months ago, we thought we were moving on.

Somewhere between those appointments, cancer had quietly rewritten our future.

That day, we stopped thinking about beating cancer.

We started thinking about buying time.

Treatment became our new normal.

Appointments replaced date nights.

Scans became milestones.

Every few months, we found ourselves holding our breath in waiting rooms, learning that hope could rise and fall with the click of a mouse as images loaded onto a computer screen.

Months passed.

Treatment after treatment.

Scan after scan.

Against the odds, the cancer responded.

Eight months later, we heard those beautiful words again.

“Your scans are clear.”

We celebrated.

But this time, our joy was quieter.

Cancer had taught us that clear didn’t always mean safe.

Around that same time, Brant started complaining about an aching shoulder.

Nothing dramatic.

Just an ache that wouldn’t leave.

His oncologists weren’t concerned.

“It isn’t cancer,” they assured us.

More than once.

Maybe they wanted to spare us unnecessary worry.

But something inside me wouldn’t settle.

I couldn’t explain it.

I only knew the pain didn’t make sense.

So instead of accepting reassurance, I made him an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon.

I still remember reading the report, expecting to see a torn rotator cuff or arthritis.

Instead, we heard another word we had grown to hate.

Cancer.

The pain wasn’t coming from his shoulder.

It was coming from a lesion in his scapula.

I remember thinking, If it’s in his bone, where else is it?

More scans were ordered.

This time, the news was even worse.

The cancer had spread to his brain.

Just days earlier, we had been celebrating clear scans.

Now we were learning that cancer had been hiding where no one thought to look.

That was the moment I realized cancer doesn’t play fair.

It doesn’t follow rules.

It doesn’t care how badly you want to believe the last scan.

It doesn’t care how much you have already endured.

Every time we found solid ground, it disappeared beneath our feet.

So we learned to stop building our lives around certainty.

Instead, we built them around today.

Today he was here.

Today we could laugh.

Today we could hold hands.

Today was enough.

Because cancer had taught us something no one ever wants to learn.

Tomorrow was never promised.

Back to contents ↑

CHAPTER SIX

Borrowed Time

◆

By then, we had learned that cancer rarely traveled in a straight line.

Every treatment came with hope.

Every scan came with fear.

Every new drug felt like another chance.

Some treatments worked for a while.

Others failed almost as quickly as they began.

With every setback, our oncologists adjusted the plan and reached for something else.

Another infusion.

Another medication.

Another possibility.

It became our life.

When the cancer spread to Brant’s brain, bones, and lymph nodes, we were devastated.

But strangely, we also found ourselves clinging to a new kind of hope.

As long as it stayed there…

As long as it didn’t reach his vital organs…

We could manage this.

Brain radiation became part of our routine.

Treatments helped his bones.

Medications changed.

Plans changed.

Hope changed.

We stopped asking, “Can we beat this?”

Instead, we asked, “Can we keep it controlled?”

Every stable scan felt like borrowed time.

And borrowed time was still time.

We celebrated every holiday.

Every ordinary Tuesday that looked like nothing special.

Those ordinary days became priceless.

For several months, we lived that way.

Never comfortable.

Never carefree.

But together.

Then, about seven months later, everything changed again.

The cancer had spread to his lungs.

And his liver.

I already knew what that meant before anyone said it out loud.

The options were becoming fewer.

His body was becoming tired.

At first, it was little things.

He didn’t finish his meals.

He said he just wasn’t hungry.

Food he had always loved suddenly held no appeal.

Then the weight started coming off.

Little by little.

Week after week.

His clothes became loose.

His face grew thinner.

His shoulders felt smaller every time I hugged him.

I begged him to eat.

Sometimes I cried.

Sometimes I got frustrated.

Sometimes I would cook his favorite meal, convinced that maybe this time something would sound good.

He tried.

God, he tried.

He would take a few bites because he knew I wanted him to.

Not because his body wanted the food.

Cancer had begun demanding more than his body could give.

There was no amount of love that could make him hungry.

No recipe that could overcome what the disease was doing.

That was one of the hardest lessons for me.

As a future nurse, I wanted to fix things.

As the woman who loved him, I wanted to save him.

I couldn’t do either.

While he was growing weaker, life kept moving forward.

The day I had dreamed about for years finally arrived.

Graduation.

I had imagined that day so many times.

Brant sitting proudly in the audience.

Cheering louder than anyone else.

Smiling that smile that always made me believe I could do anything.

Cancer had other plans.

He was determined to be there for my pinning ceremony.

Somehow, he found the strength.

Watching him put himself through that much just to celebrate me filled me with more pride than any diploma ever could.

By the time graduation came, he was too sick to leave home.

So he watched through a livestream instead.

As I walked across that stage, I wasn’t looking for my family in the crowd.

I was thinking about the man watching through a screen.

The man who had attended my very first prerequisite class from a hospital room.

The man who studied beside me in waiting rooms.

The man who never let me quit.

People congratulated me on becoming a nurse.

They told me how proud they were.

And I was proud.

But every accomplishment felt incomplete because the person I wanted to celebrate with most was fighting for another day.

That diploma had my name on it.

But it belonged to both of us.

I earned the degree.

Brant carried me there.

By the end of that spring, we both understood something neither of us wanted to say out loud.

We were no longer planning years.

We were learning how to treasure moments.

And somehow, even in the middle of all that heartbreak, we kept choosing each other.

One borrowed day at a time.

Back to contents ↑

CHAPTER SEVEN

The Hall Between Us

◆

By the time Brant was admitted for the last time, home had become somewhere we visited.

The hospital had become where we lived.

The hardest part was that it wasn’t just the hospital.

It was my hospital.

I had just started my career as a night-shift nurse.

The unit where Brant was admitted was the very floor where I worked.

Every evening, I kissed him goodbye, changed into my scrubs, clipped on my badge, walked into the hallway, and became Nurse Emily.

A few doors away was the man I loved.

He wasn’t my patient.

He belonged to another nurse.

But every chance I got, I slipped into his room.

Between passing medications…

Between answering call lights…

Between assessments and charting…

I would quietly open his door.

Sometimes, I only had a minute.

I would straighten his blanket.

Refill his water.

Kiss his forehead.

Hold his hand.

Ask if he needed anything.

Tell him I loved him.

Then I would step back into the hallway and continue taking care of my own patients.

It was a strange kind of heartbreak.

One minute, I was comforting a frightened family.

The next, I was walking into the room where my own world was falling apart.

My coworkers never made me choose between being a nurse and being with Brant.

Without saying much, they covered for me when I needed a few extra minutes.

They understood why I disappeared into Room 219 whenever I had a chance.

They didn’t just care for him.

They cared for us.

When my shift ended in the morning, I didn’t drive home.

I walked back into Brant’s room.

The chair beside his bed became my bed.

The hospital became our address.

Days and nights blurred together until I stopped keeping track of the date.

I measured time by medication schedules, lab draws, shift changes, and the sound of IV pumps.

The hospital had become the place where I learned two very different kinds of nursing.

One from the job I had worked so hard to earn.

The other from loving the person lying in that bed.

Both would change me forever.

Back to contents ↑

CHAPTER EIGHT

Two O’Clock in the Morning

◆

By his final night in the hospital, we both knew something was changing.

He was still stubbornly independent.

He insisted on walking himself to the bathroom, refusing help whenever he could.

Every small piece of independence mattered to him.

But his oxygen needs kept climbing.

The monitors were beginning to tell a story neither of us wanted to hear.

I was scheduled to work that night.

It’s a decision I have replayed in my mind more times than I can count.

At the time, it felt like what I was supposed to do. Brant had always pushed me to keep showing up, to keep being a nurse, even while he was a patient on my own unit.

Before I left his room, I leaned over his bed.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

He looked at me and nodded.

That was our last conversation.

I kissed him on the forehead and walked out the door, expecting to see him again in a little while.

I didn’t know those would be the last words we would ever say to each other.

The hospital feels different in the middle of the night.

The lights are dimmer.

The hallways are quieter.

Even the voices seem softer.

I cared for my patients the way I always did.

Passed medications.

Answered call lights.

Completed assessments.

Charted.

And every chance I had, I slipped into Brant’s room to check on him.

Somewhere around two o’clock in the morning, everything changed.

His breathing became more labored.

His oxygen requirements increased again.

The room felt different.

Not because anyone had said it out loud.

Because everyone already knew.

The nurses gathered.

Conversations became quieter.

The hope that had carried us through surgeries, chemotherapy, radiation, immunotherapy, and every new treatment began giving way to a different kind of hope.

Not hope for more time.

Hope for peace.

Hope that he wouldn’t suffer.

It was time to call the family.

Those words landed with a finality I wasn’t ready to accept.

Phone calls were made.

People started driving through the night.

The room slowly filled with the people who loved him.

As the hours passed, it became clear that we had reached a place medicine could no longer fix.

There were still machines.

There were still medications.

There were still things we could do.

But there were very few things that would truly help him.

As both a nurse and the woman who loved him, I understood what “doing everything” really meant.

It didn’t mean saving him.

It meant more procedures.

More suffering.

More time attached to machines that couldn’t give him back the life he wanted.

So I made the hardest decision of my life.

I chose comfort measures.

Not because I was giving up on him.

Because I loved him too much to ask him to keep fighting a battle his body could no longer win.

There is a kind of love that holds on with everything it has.

And there is a kind of love that finally whispers, “You don’t have to hurt anymore.”

That day, love became letting go.

I had spent two and a half years fighting beside him.

This was the first battle I couldn’t ask him to fight.

As I looked around the room at the people gathering to say goodbye, I realized we had crossed a line from which there would be no turning back.

Tomorrow was no longer something we were planning.

It was something we were praying he wouldn’t have to suffer through.

Our lives would never be the same.

Back to contents ↑

CHAPTER NINE

July 17, 2026

◆

The room was full.

Not with noise.

With love.

Family had come from near and far, answering the phone call none of us ever wanted to make.

There were tears, whispered prayers, quiet conversations, and long stretches of silence.

No one knew exactly what to say anymore.

There wasn’t anything left to fix.

Only someone left to love.

Comfort measures had already begun.

The monitors no longer felt like something to fight against. Medications were no longer about buying more time. They were about making sure the time he had left was peaceful.

For two and a half years, every decision had been about keeping him alive.

Now every decision was about keeping him comfortable.

I never imagined those two things would become different.

I sat beside him and held his hand.

The same hand that had reached for mine at Five Flags Speedway.

The same hand that had steadied me when I doubted I could survive nursing school.

The same hand that had squeezed mine through surgeries, scans, radiation, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and every unknown we faced together.

Cancer had taken so much from him.

It had never taken the man I loved.

Even now, lying in that bed, he was still Brant.

The room grew quieter as the day went on.

Family came to his bedside one by one.

Some talked to him.

Some prayed.

Some simply held his hand.

I don’t remember every conversation.

Grief has a way of blurring the edges.

But I remember the feeling.

The overwhelming realization that we were living our last hours together.

I wasn’t thinking about the years we had lost.

I was thinking about the years we had been given.

I thought about Friday nights at Five Flags.

About moving to North Alabama.

About sitting beside him on the first day of my prerequisite classes while he recovered from having his kidney removed.

About studying in waiting rooms.

About clear scans.

About devastating scans.

About every ordinary day we fought so hard to protect.

Love isn’t measured by how long you have someone.

It’s measured by how completely you choose them while you do.

Around noon, his breathing changed.

It became slower.

More irregular.

The room seemed to hold its breath with him.

No one spoke.

No one needed to.

We all knew.

I leaned close to him.

I told him I loved him.

I thanked him for believing in me when I couldn’t believe in myself.

I thanked him for making me laugh.

For teaching me what unconditional love looked like.

For giving me a life that was worth grieving.

Then, quietly, he took his last breath.

There was no drama.

No sudden rush.

Just a stillness that settled over the room.

The kind of silence that tells you the world has changed forever.

The nurses stepped into the room and listened for a heartbeat.

They looked at me with tears in their eyes.

Then they softly spoke words I had heard countless times in my profession but never imagined hearing about the man I loved.

Time of death.

In that instant, every role I had carried for the last two and a half years disappeared.

I wasn’t a nurse.

I wasn’t a caregiver.

And although we never had the chance to become husband and wife, I was no longer his fiancée in the way I had been before.

There may not have been a legal word for what I became that day.

But in every way that mattered, I was a widow.

I stayed beside him for a long time.

I wasn’t ready to let go of his hand.

The room slowly emptied as family hugged one another and stepped into the hallway.

Eventually, it was just us again.

The way it had always been.

Just for a few more minutes.

I kissed his forehead one last time.

The same way I had kissed him before leaving for work the night before.

Only this time, I knew he wouldn’t nod back.

When I finally stood to leave, I looked back one last time.

For two and a half years, every door we walked through, we walked through together.

This was the first one I had to walk through alone.

Outside, the world kept moving.

Cars drove by.

People laughed.

The sun still shone.

It amazed me that life could continue so normally when mine had completely stopped.

I drove home to a house that looked exactly the same.

But nothing inside it would ever be the same again.

The man who had taught me how to love was gone.

The love he gave me wasn’t.

And somehow, I knew that would have to be enough.

Back to contents ↑

EPILOGUE

The Water Bottle

◆

People think grief is found in cemeteries.

It isn’t.

Grief hides in the ordinary.

It waits on a bedside table.

In a toothbrush still sitting beside yours.

In a favorite coffee mug.

In the indentation on one side of the bed.

In a four-week-old bottle of water that should have been thrown away weeks ago but somehow became impossible to touch.

The hardest part wasn’t losing Brant.

The hardest part has been losing him over and over again.

One small goodbye at a time.

The day I cleaned off his bedside table, I stood there holding that water bottle for what felt like forever.

Anyone else would have seen trash.

I saw the last bottle he drank from.

The last reminder of an ordinary day before life became divided into before and after.

I finally threw it away.

Then I cried as though I had buried him all over again.

Next came the appointment reminder slips.

Little scraps of paper we had absentmindedly tucked away.

Appointments we had faithfully shown up for.

Treatments we prayed would work.

Dates that once represented hope.

Now they were only paper.

I threw those away too.

Another goodbye.

His clothes are still in the closet.

Some of them still smell like him if I close my eyes long enough.

His pillowcase is still on his pillow.

I haven’t been able to change it.

Maybe one day I will.

Today isn’t that day.

I hung his picture on the wall.

I catch myself looking at it when I walk through the room, almost expecting him to say something sarcastic or tell me I have done something the hard way when there was an easier way all along.

Sometimes I laugh before I remember why he’s quiet.

People ask me how I’m doing.

The only honest answer is this:

I’m okay.

Until I’m not.

Grief doesn’t move in a straight line.

It circles back without warning.

A song.

A smell.

A race car.

A Superman shirt.

An empty chair.

A bottle of water.

You can be laughing one minute and unable to breathe the next.

I have learned not to fight it anymore.

Love this big was never going to leave quietly.

If grief is the price of loving Brant, then I will pay it.

Every tear.

Every sleepless night.

Every wave that knocks me to my knees.

Because I would choose him again.

Every single time.

If someone handed me a choice, live my life without ever knowing him or love him knowing it would end exactly the same, I wouldn’t hesitate.

I would choose Brant.

I would choose the hospital rooms.

The scans.

The uncertainty.

The laughter.

The racetrack.

The ordinary Tuesdays.

I would choose all of it.

Because for six years, I got to love a man who showed me what unconditional love looked like.

Cancer took his life.

It didn’t take what we built.

It didn’t take the way he loved me.

It didn’t take the woman his love helped me become.

I still talk to him.

Sometimes out loud.

Sometimes only in my heart.

About the dogs.

About the little things I wish I could text him.

I tell him when I’m angry.

I tell him when I miss him.

Maybe that’s what love becomes after death.

Not something that ends.

Something that changes its address.

I don’t know what tomorrow looks like.

I don’t know what the rest of my story will hold.

For so long, my future always included Brant.

Now I have to learn how to write the next chapters without him sitting beside me.

Some days I do that well.

Some days I don’t.

Both are okay.

People tell me time heals all wounds.

I don’t think that’s true.

Time doesn’t erase love.

It doesn’t erase loss.

What time has done is teach me how to carry them both.

I will always wish this story had a different ending.

But then I remember…

This isn’t the end of our story.

It’s only the end of the part where I could hold his hand.

The love we built didn’t end on July 17, 2026.

It will live on in every patient I care for with a little more compassion because of him.

In every act of kindness I choose because he taught me what kindness looks like.

In every sunrise I force myself to watch because he no longer can.

And in every ordinary object that reminds me love is never really measured by grand gestures.

Sometimes, it’s measured by a water bottle that sat untouched on a bedside table until one grieving woman finally found the strength to let it go.

Not because she stopped loving him.

But because she never will.

Back to contents ↑

Before I Knew What Love Was

A love story that continues beyond goodbye.


Comments